Hot Mess Express

Lately I've been working on my organization, which is a hot mess. I've developed a block schedule for myself  -- needs tweaking, but it's already been helpful at getting things done.

I have alarms set up at the end of each block to let me know to move on. Noting that I am currently unemployed, this is my typical morning:

  • Wake up to pee
  • Go back to bed
  • Scroll on phone
  • Maybe doze off again
  • Wander over to computer
  • Reddit or chat with friends
  • Think about all the things I need to do


When I actually try to be productive, it's not great either. For example, if I think "I need to clean the bedroom."

So maybe I start by picking up clothes. I start to put away my husband's clothes and notice his closet is a mess, so I start organizing it. But this isn't where his shoes go! I take his shoes out to the shoe rack by the front door. It's gritty from all the dust and sand -- we live in Hawaii with jalousie windows... and also SOMEONE walks through the apartment with his shoes on! I really should sweep and mop. I go in the broom closet. Oh, the reusable mop pads really need washing. I should do laundry. 


I take a load of laundry down to the laundry room. I make note of the time. I pop open a video game while waiting for the laundry to finish. 

Three hours later "OH F*** THE LAUNDRY"


Great right? So successful! /s 

So, I created a block schedule for myself. It still requires dedication to not think "meh, I'll do it later" or to get distracted, but it's helping immensely! I have a time to clean, a time for errands, a time for self-care, a time for video games even! So I can't play video games in the morning, even though I'm unemployed and have all the time in the world. Mornings are for getting shit done!

For example, this morning:

  • Wake up to pee
  • After washing hands, wash face and brush teeth
  • Go in kitchen to make myself a cuppa
  • While kettle is boiling and tea is steeping, wash dishes
  • Take tea to desk, go over to-do list
One of the things in my morning block is "get dressed" because, as a NEET, it's easy to just stay in sweats all day. I went into the bedroom to get dressed and I noticed the bed was a mess. I decided to change the sheets. I started to pull the sheets off the bed, but then I stopped. This was not the cleaning block. There are other things I want to get right now! I left the sheets in a mess on the bed. I added "change sheets" to my to-do list and went back to my morning block tasks.

I felt like an adult this morning. I know that sounds dumb. I'm a fully fledged adult, but I do feel as though I have some ADHD tendencies. I have never been diagnosed, but whenever I read about ADHD, it resonates deeply. 

In addition, I have lost so much focus since being unemployed. With no set schedule, it's incredibly easy to get distracted. 

Okay I guess I'm done rambling. Hopefully I write more later this week.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog